Tumblr – something I have avoided writing about simply because I don’t want to feel obligated to share mine with you. But this just seems like something I need to write.
Tumblr, the majestic goddess of all blogging sites (sorry WordPress), is a place to blog without having to really blog – let me explain.
This site is similar to WordPress or Blogger .. but it also has all the same characteristics as any other social media site. There’s a word limit, pictures to share, layouts to design, and reblogs to reblog. There is a lot less organization and a lot more informal written work. You don’t have to write in order to “blog” on Tumbr.
I want to now share with you five things you need to understand in order to fully enjoy your Tumbling experience.
1) Fandom- as defined by Urban Dictionary is: the community that surrounds a tv show/movie/book etc. Fanfiction writers, artists, poets, and cosplayers are all members of that fandom. Fandoms often consist of message boards, livejournal communities, and people.
For example, I am apart of the Doctor Who Fandom. We call ourselves Whovians. We even have our own Wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_fandom
2) Shipping/OTP- Shipping as defined by Urban Dictionary is : a term used to describe fan fictions that take previously created characters and put them as a pair. It usually refers to romantic relationships, but it can refer platonic ones as well. OTP stands for One True Pairing.
For example my friend Melanie loves Harry potter she ship’s Harry and Draco, this is her OTP.
4) Whenever you see our creator you MUST reblog him- it’s just a thing, you gotta have respect for the master
5) The Factions within the Tumblr Community- most blogs on Tumblr fall into one of the following categories:
– Fitblrs/Thinspo/Fitspo- these blogs are NOT the same thing, I put them together just to make the post easier to understand. These blogs are devoted to either fitness, health and weight-loss OR the “skinny look”. The Fitblrs post pictures of fruit and workout logs as well as some awesome recipes. They seem to be great motivators. The Thinspo’s usually reblog unhealthy photos about the body and how it should look.
-OTP/Fandom- just to reiterate what I explained earlier, Tumblr is a place where you can express your love for stuff, including your Fandom/OTP.
-Barbie/Starbucks- essentially this type of blog has tons of pictures of cute cuddly dogs, couples holding hands, Starbucks drinks, Cars, travel destinations, clothes etc. This is a very girly type of blog.
-B/W- this type of blog is for those who are a little more deep in thought These blogs are in black and white, there is usually a lot more writing than pictures, most likely about personal things, and deeper reflections. The pictures and posts you’ll find are generally negative or just plain sad.
-Mixtures- the random funny blogs to blogs about dorm rooms, there is literally no way Tumblr could stop surprising me.
What else do you think people need to know before making a Tumblr? What else should be listed as a “type” of Tumblr?